An exceptional and rare double sided railway platform clock.
Unknown original origin however the rear of the dials are inscribed Platform 6 GWR, suggesting this was originally mounted on platform 6 of a Great Western Railway Station.
According to Wikipedia The Great Western Railway (GWR) was a British railway company that linked London with the southwest, west and West Midlands of England and most of Wales. It was founded in 1833, received its enabling Act of Parliament on 31 August 1835 and ran its first trains in 1838 with the initial route completed between London and Bristol in 1841.
The GWR was the only company to keep its identity through the Railways Act 1921, which amalgamated it with the remaining independent railways within its territory, and it was finally merged at the end of 1947 when it was nationalised and became the Western Region of British Railways.
The GWR was called by some "God's Wonderful Railway" and by others the "Great Way Round" but it was famed as the "Holiday Line", taking many people to English and Bristol Channel resorts in the West Country as well as the far southwest of England such as Torquay in Devon, Minehead in Somerset, and Newquay and St Ives in Cornwall.
The Clock exhibits features from two prolific electric clock manufacturers both Gents of Leicester and Synchronome who were fierce competitors throughout the 20th century.
The clock hands have the trademark arrowhead design by Gents of Leicester however the typeface used in familiar with the style regularly used by Synchronome, this was not uncommon as clocks were updated throughout their long existence on the railway stations and often worked on by multiple companies over the years.
A perfect example of this is the famous four sided Waterloo Station Clock which was worked on by Synchronome, Gents of Leicester and Smiths of Derby.
Regardless of the actual manufacturer this clock is a rare stunner dating to the early part of the 20th Century circa 1915.
The clock face has also undoubtedly seen modification over the years as the 24 hour dials were not commonly used until the 1960's so these would clearly of been a hand painted edition around this time.
The clock displays evidence of its age and industrial use with the dents and dints to the heavy gauge steel drum case.
The clock would of originally been mounted by solid rods and hung high above platform 6 to service millions of commuters over its history.
We have photographed the clock without hanging brackets as there are many ways this clock could be mounted, hung or even floor fixed as an undoubtable special feature for a interior space.
Suited to a large interior there are many scenarios this clock could be used.
The clock has been update to run with new high torque synchronous electric 240v movements, the clock is adjusted internally via the access hatch to the base of the drum case.
A 240v to 110v step down transformer can be supplied on request to clients in the US
The artists figure in the images is 6ft 1" to give a representation of scale.
|Movement||Electric Main Synchronous 240v|
|Clock Face||760mm (30 inch)|
|Colour||Red, Black, White|